Monday, September 22, 2008

Welcome to the world little Daileyanne!



Every baby has a birth story, here's a slightly candid version of mine


Last weekend we hosted an Air Show here at our Base in Idaho. With Patrick busy working at protecting the flightline from terroists my neighbor, my brother and I went around noon so we’d be there for the Thunderbirds. (Okay honestly I only went for the funnel cake) It was a really nice afternoon and I had high hopes that all that walking would help the baby get into position as I entered into my 40th week. We came home about 230 and not ten minutes later my doorbell rings. It’s my neighbor Bob (who also happens to be my OB’s husband, both are really great friends of ours) so with scrap of funnel cake in hand I answer the door
Me- Hey Bob, what’s up? Patrick’s not here right now
Bob “It’s time”
Time for what?
Bob “You’re having a baby today my dear”
Yeah sure, you’re physic powers are badly tuned. Want some funnel cake?
Bob “NO. REALLY. Hillary has been trying to reach you for hours. She needs to induce you.”
Ummmm….. okay. I guess I need to find some shoes? And my husband?

Turned out the 24 hour urine sample that I dropped off in the morning had come back with really high protein and Hillary (my OB) had gotten the results and determined that if I was going to be pre-eclamptic in a day or two and need inducing she might as well do it before I actually got sick. So after a few phone calls to Grandparents and friends we took our showers -My legs were getting shaved- and headed over the hospital. They gave me a dose of Cervadill (sp?) to ripen my cervix which after a week and a half was still at a 2.5 cm and a stage 2, had us tuck in for the night and wait for morning. At 8 am Hillary checked me (still 2.5 cm) and stripped my membranes. The nurses started up the picoten about 9 am.

With Ike dancing through the Gulf my mom and dad had evacuated from outside of Houston to Austin. Thankfully they weren't still in the dead zone of Houston and were able to actually get the ‘You’re tickets on Wed are gonna get you visitation to a 5 day old grandbaby” phone call. Mom was able to find a flight in at 1130 on Sunday which sounded good like plenty of time as inductions takes about 16 hours. She had a small mishap when her luggage went missing in Boise and chose to desert it so she could jump in a rental car and come down. (This proves to be a VERY good idea.)
At 1100 Hillary checks me again and was very excited about my advancement to 4 cm and broke my water. Suddenly those “rotten and but tolerable” contractions entered a whole new plane and I was more then ready for the Epidural. With the Air Show going on every medical personalist was on duty over the weekend to include my doting Doctor, five nurses, three techs and two anesthesiologists. (Who had come up to my room twice saying they were really board and asking if I wanted drugs so they’d have something to do.) Once my water was broken the contractions became head spinning evil and the cart was pushed in. The spinal block didn’t work and for a while I hysterically thought I’d be in the small percentage nothing worked for! Thankfully after 13 or more contractions the Epi finally kicked in and I took a little nap. (Lovely!)
Zoom forward to about 1:45pm. Patrick has gone downstairs to collect Mom and bring her to the room. Hillary comes in and says “Let’s see if you’ve dilated any, say some quick wishes that you’ve made SOME progress” then lifts the sheets with a “Oh MY! You ready to have this baby?”

Ummmm…. Can I find my husband?
She has me reach down and feel her head while we wait. (Seriously? This is happening now?!) Once Patrick and Mom are in place I barrel down, push something like 5 times and have a baby. Feel a little anti-climatic? Yea, for me too! Six months of watching Baby Story on TLC to prepare myself for an event that lasted less then a commercial break. :) Not complaining of course but it took a little time to shake off the fog and realize that labor was over and I was finally a mom!







One last belly picture! Dr. Suber on the left and Dr. Hillary Elins on the right













Patrick sleeping the the "Daddy Chair"


Scowling through contractions

No comments:

Post a Comment

layout